Thursday, February 21, 2008

Number Crunching...

I was talking to my friend Rick (check out his blog) and he mentioned that folks often like to read "nuts and bolts stuff" on tech-ish blogs. At the moment I am still deluding myself that this blog is generally about my bike endeavors (rather then just online ranting) so I thought I would take his advice.

My day job is as a brazer at Bike Friday. Essentially I take a skeletal frame and add on the doohikies that keep the cables where they should be, braze on the drop outs, fillet some sweet little forks and make the folding masts (seat tube extension) for the bikes that have those. My average day is about seven bikes, today I did nine. That got me thinking about all those little braze ons...

In an average week I:

- Make 1 or 2 triple (3 person) bikes
- Make 4-5 tandems
- Make 30 single rider bikes
- Make 35 forks
- Brazed on approx. 1000 braze ons

Thats quite a few.

By the end of the year I will have (conservatively):

- Used 50gallons of gas flux
- Stood on my feet and listened to my welders bad music for 10,000 hours (ok, really only about 2000)
- Lit my torch 43,000 times
- Brazed on 255,000 braze ons
- Used 29,500 ft (about a 5.5 miles) of brazing rod weighing approx. 190lbs

Oh, and after work I put a wishbone seat stay on the current track build!

Bikes rule!

No comments: