Friday, April 4, 2008

When little tubes grow up...

... They become racks.


I've been working on a few rack projects from cast off 4130 tubing. We use a lot of this at work for supports and stock racks. I try to pick up bits that are over a couple inches long but to short for shop use. Every so often I end up with enough to crank out a rack platform. The image above is the feather shaped platform that became the rack on the (just completed) step through.



Take a look at the chain guard and new decals/ head tube badge prototypes.


This week was a long one at 46 bikes (hence the late blog update). At the end of the day, one must ask oneself "What is the best way to relax after another long day?".

By combining re-used materials with a love of bicycling, fire, art deco design and 80's Atari iconodulism to make a pretty neat-o small porteur-esque front rack.

This will be for my randonee bike, and I'm debating adding an integrated decaleur (bag mount). Since I don't have a bag yet, I may hold off and just make the support modeler in case I add one down the road.

2 comments:

Andrew Campbell said...

Very nice step-through! That's awesome, E!

A.

Quixotic Bicycles said...

Thanks! Karen likes it, so I'm happy. Steve thought you'd get a kick out of it.

Stay tuned- I'm stating another cool one this week!