Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Head badges!

I have two working models of the new head badge. They are essentially the same graphic, but the background uses negative space a bit differently.

One is a bit more filled in with a positive sky and negative clouds:




The other has a negative sky with positive clouds:



I think I like the the second one a bit more. Thoughts?

Shiggy at mtbtires.com was kind enough to cut them for me out of some brushed aluminum vinyl I found. The vinyl has been a great way to do some quick and inexpensive prototyping before doing this in stainless (and maybe some in copper).

Unfortunately my camera battery died just as I was setting up to work on the current lugged road frame so I don't have very many process pictures. I did get the battery charged though, and will be picking up again now that most of the frame brazing is done. I'll leave you with a 10pm head lug picture though. The whole joints worth of silver was pulled in from the tip of the top tube point.

4 comments:

Andrew Campbell said...

Ditto, E. My vote is for #2 as well -- in either case that's a nice logo. Very distinctive.

And those are some nice-looking lugs on that new frame, too. Sweet stuff. You, sir, are an artist.

Wish me and the boys luck for Saturday + Sunday. Big test weekend.

best
A+M+M+J

Quixotic Bicycles said...

Ohhh- good luck then!

Thanks for the kind words. This one is coming together very smoothly so far. Seems all that money at art school paid off, eh? ;)

Andrew Campbell said...

Hmmmm... 'art school'?! I do remember all those really cool outsized woodworking tool sculptures you made.

Maybe if you'd taken the 'Intro to Digital Photography' class you wouldn't have needed to read the manual to find the 'Macro' setting? Just kidding ;-) Still haven't figured out half the stuff that either of my digital cameras do (or don't, for that matter). Neither camera can make a decent macchiato, for example.

Nice etymology feature, BTW. And thanks for the good luck.

A+M+M+J

Quixotic Bicycles said...

I passed on those classes as I was still holding out for the return of film and the whizz-pop of dig to die. That and I was sick of seeing pictures of my classmates acting "arty" by stricking silly poses in the tub (but its black AND white!!!).

Young and foolish (now whats my excuse?).

And its a well known fact that only Holga's know how to make macchiatos. Digitals, at best, can crack a can of Full Throttle.

When Leicas can be dragged away from doing lines of Afga then can sometimes be convinced to sip Kopi Luwak (but only if you are watching them do it).