Monday, April 28, 2008

Monday Update

The lugged frame was on a bit of a hold while I waited for some shift lever bosses. Those just arrived today, and will be on the bike asap. In the meantime, I took some time to build a few tools and to do some destructive testing on a stem.

The tools will make their blog appearances as they are used, but consist of a shift boss jig and a canti boss/ rack mount/ bridge adjustable jig. I've had great luck just eyeballing and measuring these, but the tools should make set up a little quicker.

The stem was made with 4130 .035 tubing and was nickel silver brazed with only gasflux. I intentionally put this together sloppily to see what kind of results I could get. I started off putting it in my vise with a cheater bar on the quill. I could not get it to bend enough to take a set. After exhausting myself there, I proceeded to beat on it for a half hour with a 2 lb sledge hammer. While its nice and mangled, nothing "broke". After enough whacks, the tubes started to collapse in, but all of the brazing held.

This is GREAT!!! If you take a crash, you want the stem to spin on the steerer or at worst bend, but not snap off at the joint. While it might be a bit crooked, you can ride it home. I was very pleased with these bench test results.

Pleased with the success of this crude test I also started making a lugged stem. This is not a kit stem, but rather a quill with Quixotic made lugs in the constructeur style. Stay tuned to watch this develop!

4 comments:

Andrew Campbell said...

woooooh... fancy! that's awesome those stems are so strong AND fancy looking. I have no idea what 'constructeur' means, but it adds a certain Euro-chic.

best
A+M+M+J

Quixotic Bicycles said...

Thank you- I do love to be chic, and Euro is just icing. Wait a second, you are "Euro"...

"Constructeur" just means "builder" (en français). The term references the "all-in-house" builders (specifically the French ones) of the 40's and 50's that built bikes integrating all components. In many cases, such as Alex Singer and Zeus, they even made their own components.

Quixotic Bicycles said...

Oh,I should also point out that the sample stem I beat on weighted in at a fair bit less then the same length Cinelli 1A (according to my heft test certified hands).Tis lugged one should be comparable, even with a mix of .058" and .049" thickness tubing.

Marc said...

Hey Eric,
You may remeber me from Laconia. Looks like you are making so nice bikes. I want to know if it is possiable for you to make one for me. contact me when you get a chance
navahojo@mac.com