Thursday, March 13, 2008

The wait is over!

The last time I posted I mentioned searching for drop outs. Low and behold my boss at BF had this set he has been storing for about 20 years in a drawer that he was willing to donate. They are a bit rough in the casting, but the vintage makes them a great match for the frame, and I'm sure they will clean up great!

I have added a bunch of pictures to the flickr set for this build. I forgot my camera when I was mitering tubes, so we skip right from the raw tubing image to the bike in the jig for tacking.

After finishing the very compact sprint bike and very small 650b, this mixte frame adds a whole new level of "tight"! Those tubes are about 4" apart running parallel from the head tube to the seat tube. I'll add another micro TT from the actual top tube to the second bilaminate section to give the seat tube a little more support.

I have the front end fillets finished, but the light was no good for photos. I'll add the chain stays, braze in the head tube proper and sweat the laminate pieces and post some more pictures.

2 comments:

Andrew Campbell said...

Hell, Eric, it almost looks like you know what you're doing! Like it might almost look like I know how to work a bird-dog....

best from here
A+M+M+J

Quixotic Bicycles said...

Naw- I just steal pictures off the internet and write a convincing bit of fiction.

My dog weighs about as much as both yours holding hands.

E