Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Too much coffee...

While following random links in Flickr, I ran across an interesting picture taken during an Independent Fabrications factory tour. On the Bicycle Escape shop Blog they talk about a trash can at IF filled with Dunkin Donuts cups and mention "IF runs on Dunkins" (a twist on the company slogan "America runs on Dunkin". Wow, that started the nostalgia/ serendipity bandwagon!

Just that day my parents contacted me and mentioned they wanted bikes. I haven't seen them ride for about 20 years, so I was rather excited by all of this! Now, the one unspoken constant in the Estlund household is the constant flow of coffee, and generally at my folks place that is DD's. As a youngster I used to drink ungodly amounts of the stuff (a gallon a day would be conservative). And while my tastes have developed (more espresso based) and quantity diminished (I limit myself to about 8-12 shots a day), the link is still strong. The orange and pink bubble letters still bring back a flood of visceral memories (ice fishing, cold morning walks, late night runs in HS, my dad's uncanny Dunkin Radar that could track down the tasty brew in any northern state).

Not but a few hours after speaking with my parents my wife shows up with a bag of Dunkin Donuts coffee beans (from Target no less). She saw them on the shelf and they reminded her of my folks.

Dunkin Donuts was founded in 1950 in Quincy, MA (just south of Boston). IF is located in Somerville (just north of Boston), which is the same town my grandparents are from. Hell, if its good enough for them, its good enough for me. Now then, lets see what this does pushed through an espresso machine!


Ya ma! Thinkn' of you!

To continue the semi random chain of incidents, I figured out how to effectively use a tri-scraper to finish fillets. This is based on a suggestion from Ted Wojcik, long time NH frame builder. Thanks Ted!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There definitely seems to be a connection between good coffee and good bicycles. We have both a coffee and espresso machine in the shop and use them often. Thanks for the mention. Tom

Andrew Campbell said...

Eric: you know me and coffee... remember that Ferrari-red LaPavoni that used to be in my apartment? Thanks for the Dunkin Donuts flashback. I always used to look forward to visiting friends in Boston (from Michigan) because I could always find coffee + a donut. That was before Tim Horton's made the cross-border incursion into Ann Arbor -- although frankly, Tim is a pale imitation of Dunkin.

A+M+M+J

Quixotic Bicycles said...

Hey Tom- thanks for the cross bounce!

AC- how could I forget. Oh, the tragedy of cross country moves! The home cup machine will always pale in comparison. Just had a cup from a Clover (seemed a bit over rated to me- very clean, but very "diet coffee").